Responsible for the appraisal of group life and disability insurance applications and determining whether applications should be approved, declined or if additional medical information is required. Assures accurate and timely evaluation of individual applications, their employers group contract and relevant medical history that are reflective of NIS’s underwriting goals and guidelines.
- Responsible for the risk assessment of individuals health status both present and past
- Determines degree of risk presented by examining, group insurance contract, application forms, personal statements, and medical records.
- Respond to inquires, questions, and requests on a timely basis making all efforts to explaining company medical underwriting policies and procedures.
- Daily interaction with internal and external customers to maintain consistency and support department workflow.
- Must have proven analytical skills and critical thinking skills with demonstrated ability to make independent decisions and to apply sound judgement in the application of underwriting guidelines.
- Resolve problems and enhance rapport with internal and external customers.
- Maintains professional medical underwriting and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks and participating in professional societies.
- Accountable for all actions/responsibilities as they relate to this position.
- Contributes to departmental goals by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Risk Management, Medical Field or related area. 5+ years of previous medical underwriting experience is desired.
- Strong knowledge of medical terms desired.
- Knowledge of HIPAA privacy laws desired.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, maintaining a positive professional interaction with both internal and external customers.
- Strong teamwork orientation and outstanding customer service skills.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to use sound judgment and be decisive under a deadline.
- Must be proficient in Office products and have an aptitude to learn new programs
- Must be able to organize, plan, prioritize and complete complex assignments with little or no supervision
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Must have a high level of interpersonal skills, and the ability to demonstrate poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Must possess a strong sense of personal accountability.
- Incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
- Consistent daily attendance and the ability to work overtime occasionally at last minute.
Normal Working Hours and Days:
Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (or as mutually agreed to by the parties); 1 hour lunch; overtime as required.
- Position is primarily sedentary in nature with relatively equal amounts of sitting, standing, and walking.
- Infrequent light physical effort may be required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and sills required of personnel so classified.
National Insurance Services of Wisconsin, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer.